Saturday, September 08, 2007

Recruiters

On my second week of work, a guy walked in with a group of friends. He wanted me to open an account for him. Unfortunately, I am not finished with my trainings; so, I would be unable to do so. As a result, I gave him the personal bankers' business cards. However, he insisted that he wanted my number, and that he would wait for me to finish my trainings.

Perhaps, I was naive; I thought he really just wanted me to get the credit for it. However, the matter was not as simple as it appeared. On the next morning, I got a call from him. Apparently, he is a manager from Chase. He wanted to recruit me to his new branch that he will open in Manhattan. He figured that he can benefit from my Chinese language skill.

I told him that I am not a personal banker; instead, I am in the management program. He grew silent, and accepted my rejection.

I did not want to appear to be disloyal. Thereafter, when I told my co-workers, I told them that I wouldn't have considered it for a split second. On the other hand, they were giving me advice as to how to handle the situation. I was told that I should at least figure out how much he was to offer me. Obviously, when you're doing that, you're pulling people with a much higher offer. At the same time, another co-worker advised me that I should consider the location the next time.

Apparently, they were all too familiar with it. I guess, next time, I will ask how much they would offer me - just to cure my curosity. Then again, I am not going to become a personal banker when I'm in a training program to be an Assistant Manager.

Overall, everyone is surprised how quickly I was recruited. Now, I wonder, of all the customers, how many are there just to scout and shop?