Thursday, May 04, 2006

Harajuku With 2 Koreans



(Note: It's supposed to be ESJ in one of the pictures)

HAPPY GOLDEN WEEK! (In Japan, we are all enjoying our 5-day weekend.)

Meet Eun-Jung and Jane. Eun-Jung lives down the hall. I went to my home visit with her. Also, I spend countless hours speaking Japanese to her. She finishes my sentences, corrects my grammar, and successfully figures out what I am trying to say after a list of self-created Japanese words. Jane, who I have known for almost 9 years, is one of my closest friend. We studied Japanese together for 6 years, and I also went to a Korean church with her. Now, she is a foreign exchange student at 筑波大学 (north of Tokyo). Jane is also responsible for every Korean words I know, including the usual greetings, "really", "stop", etc.

After more than half a year of living in Japan, Jane and I finally met up at 原宿. I invited Eun-Jung, because she was extremely interested to meet a Korean American. I knew it would work out when they individually told me how nice the other person was.

We started out the day with Jane speaking to Eun-Jung in Korean, while I am speaking to Jane in English and Eun-Jung in Japanese. Funny triangular relationship. Although we focused on Japanese, it only got worse. Jane started to speak to Eun-Jung in English, and I would reply in Korean as if I understand the conversation.

Jane bought me お土産 from Korea and Tsukuba. It included tea and snacks. THANK YOU! Unfortunately, Jane had to leave early. Thereafter, Eun-Jung and I spent the rest of the day at 渋谷. We ended the day with our feet sore. On the upside, I bought a BUNCH of things and spent very little money (despite the fact that I am a 貧乏人). In addition, we went to 明治神宮 to pick up a charm that I will soon send to my father who is sick.