Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Closer and Closer

The process is coming to an end - for both companies!

HSBC wants me to go to their branch in Chinatown again. They will extend me an offer and I will be there to fill out applications. In other words, I'm hired! Of course, I won't accept the offer on the spot.

On the other hand, the executive from Bank of America liked me. Thereafter, I will be going in next Monday to meet with the bank manager who will work with me. Ironically, for Bank of America, I will be going to Flushing - the Mandarin speaking community. Flushing is also the place that I was originally supposed to work at in HSBC - until they found out that I don't speak Mandarin fluently.

In the end, it's inevitable that I will be working at a Chinese community.

Bank of America
  • =) Location: Rob and I go there everyday to eat anyway. It's a 20 minute commute by bus. It's convenient and close.
  • =) Learning Opportunity: I will be forced to speak Mandarin. I will be able to practice it and use it to my advantage later on.
  • =) Position: I'll be an Assistant Manager in 1-2 years. I love to manage
  • =) Experience: Management and sales; it will be beneficial when I apply for my MBA degree or other positions in the future.
  • =( Low Pay.
  • =( Learning Opportunity: No sponsorship for licenses. I will be an unlicensed personal banker like everyone else
HSBC
  • =) Learning Opportunity: Paid sponsorship for my licenses to sell stock, insurance, etc.
  • =) Experience: I will be working under Financial Advisors and find out how they make the insane amount of money that they don't deserve.
  • =) Employer: HSBC is much better than Bank of America in the industry.
  • =) Industry: I will be with Securities, not Banking.
  • =( Location: It's a 1.5 hour commute with crazy rush hour.
  • =( OT: I am expected to go to non-mandatory night meetings every week.
  • =( Experience: On my resume, I'm pretty much the same as a licensed administrative assistant/secretary. (On the other hand, they told me that I will be doing more sales than clerical duties.)
  • =( Direct Supervisors: I don't see myself learning anything from them.
  • =) Direct Supervisors: They are so incapable that I see myself surpassing them in no time. That means faster promotion.
  • =) Pay: I can't imagine their offer to be lower than Bank of America.