Sunday, May 27, 2007

Etymology


In high school, I had to look up the meaning of my name. In short, the name Stephanie means crown.

Now that I am home, I have been digging through things, cleaning, and organizing things that have been long neglected. I found telephone bills from 2002. I also came across the above greeting card from Uncle Paul and Auntie Patricia. Although the card is as old as I am, I am actually quite familiar with it. Anyway, I thought it was interesting so I took a picture.

This is the greeting card on how I received my English name. Long story short... my cousins in the US decided on a name for me; subsequently, my aunt decided to include it on their card. And bam, I was named Stephanie by my cousins who have probably never even met my parents. Luckily, they didn't name me Madonna or something. In fact, I'm pretty satisfied with their decision.

The origin of my Chinese name is not any different. I got my Chinese name from family friends~