Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Ladder

I'm anxious to get my phone call to schedule the second interview. The path up the ladder seems clearer to me. The position that is offered requires 4 years of private client service sales, support, or equivialent. It also requires 3 licenses that I have not yet obtained. In other words, I already have a 4 year head start! I have been researching on the salary for the industry and my position. I know what I'm worth, and I wonder if I can negotiate my salary. I wonder how flexible they can be. Obviously, they're not "dying" to accept me. Everything happened so quickly. Depending on performance, an average of 2-3 years down the road, I will be opened to more options. At the time, I thought the financial advisor was referring to the possible advancement to become a financial advisor. Now that I think about it, it's very probable he was referring to that. The difference between an financial advisor and a sales assistant are 2 more licenses and 4 years of experience (according to their website). I suppose, the "4 yr of experience" is flexible when you are already a HSBC employee.

I love all of these licensing things. Originally, I wanted to go into the industry of actuary. Although I hate taking tests, passing each test increase their income in the actuary industry... as opposed to experience. I guess, obtaining these licenses, you are not as easily dispensable or replaceable.

On the other hand, I'm still confused in terms of structure. He is hiring a junior financial advisor. He does have a secretary. So, I know for a fact that I'm neither, but I definitely will learn to do his 6-figure job.

I have looked up the average salary for various positions in HSBC. HSBC's compensation is generally higher than average. In terms of "performance," I always thought it's really about whether or not your supervisor likes you. At least, I don't need to go out to get customers; they come to me. In the end, this seems to be the best opportunity that is out there for me now. I skipped my 4 years, and I didn't have to become a teller.

I like the Japanese's idea of "lifetime employment". Now that I found my way inside HSBC, I don't ever want to leave! (Of course, unless I'm offered a higher salary. lol)