Thursday, September 22, 2005

Awkward Silence, Sexual Tension

The topic "awkward silence, sexual tension" came to the table with my group of friends. They asked if the girls feel the same tension that guys feel. I can only speak for myself, but I've never felt any sexual tension during awkward silence. I've experienced awkward silence due to the lack of conversational topics, but never along with sexual tension.

Speaking of awkwardness, I informed my dad of the schedule for my flight. He was cooking. I came out of the room nonchalantly, and said, "My flight is on Sunday at 11 am." Perhaps, "Oh," was uttered. My dad has finally come face to face with my departure.

Since the beginning of time, my father and I don't spend much time talking. Our quality time is spent with him shopping for food and cooking dinner, and me eating it. It's our way of being appreciative. Our quality time is also spent staying at home in our individual rooms. I used to bring soccer questions to the dinner table. Whenever my legs are sore, I bring that to the table, too. Because then, we would have something to talk about.

I read a lot of interesting facts in "Why Men Have Nipples." I've probably read most of it before from random magazines. Comments about health and sciences seem to be looked up upon in the family. Last night, for the first time, I continued to refute every myth I heard on the table. I may have even brought attention to a random topic. I would speak out, "Actually..." Until, my father debated, "You can't base everything on a book." I did not defend myself, because he was right. He continued, "It's different for everyone." Once again, he was right.

At last, we get a phone call to turn on the tv. So, we did. There was a breaking news last night, broadcasted live. A Jet Blue plane, with approximately 140 passengers, had problems with its landing gear. Basically, the front wheel was twisted 90 degrees. As the plane circled around to dispense fuel (a precaution for a possible fire), our eyes were stilled on the tv. Larry King spoke to many guests on the telephone on CNN. Many ex-pilots, directors, etc. were giving predictions as to what will happen. Soon afterwards, the plane landed safely likely to their predictions. There were a few sparks created from the alumnimum on the runway, nothing scary. It was very much like the ending of a movie.

Throughout the broadcast, my father and I spoke. There I was, translating whatever I've heard. It reminds me of the Olympics, World Cup, or even Wheel of Fortune, because those were the times we spoke of a common topic.