Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Name Is...

Since the beginning of time, I've used my Chinese name for legal documents, and Stephanie was used for my academic records. My Chinese name is used so rarely that I am on the edge of forgetting it. All until Stony Brook. One day, I decided to put Stephanie (Hiu Ying) Tang on my application for my name ID. Who would've known that it was all over campus from then on.

A month ago, there was a name discrepency at the financial aid office. Soon, I had to change my school record from Stephanie to my Chinese name. From then on, when I call the school, they would greet, "Hi, Ms. High Ying Tang." Mind you, it is pronounced Hew Ying Tang.

That brings up another question. Because it is in my passport, Chiba University (the school I'll be studying in at Japan) will also know me as Hiu Ying Tang. The whole world will soon know me as Hiu Ying Tang ~ everything but ONE credit card that reads Stephanie Tang.

I forgot to mention that I'm finally in the process of naturalization. Soon, I'll be able to change my name to WHATEVER I want. What a scary thought.