Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Counting Down...

Only 11 more days left, what a scary thought. Soon, I'll be surrounded by black hair, pale skin, and yellow teeth. Eek!

As for preparation, I bought the books, "The Dante Club," and "Why Men Have Nipples." Study abroad classes are not challenging (or so I've heard). I figured I need to keep my brain functioning. Furthermore, I bought a winter coat and a Fujitsu laptop. I'm getting mixed messages. Some say clothes in Japan are expensive, others say otherwise. I already got my student visa, scholarship, most financial aid, and MEDEX. MEDEX brings an interesting topic. MEDEX is short for "Medical Evacuation/Repatriation Policy." In other words, it's an insurance policy that covers the act of delivering my corpse. Eek!

In addition, Rob and I have setted up our webcam. It's unbelievably clear. From time to time, I would see his roommate, Jackson, pop on the screen. I never know what's going on, because everything's moving so fast.

For the month of September, I've seen various doctors. I got my Hep A shot; it is recommended for those who visits Asia. Yesterday, I finished my consultation with the allergist. Apparently, I'm allergic to dust mites, GRASS, etc. Yep, when I get a house of my own, I'm not mowing the lawn or dusting! Muahahaha...

I've visited Stony Brook the last few weekends. Although there weren't any plans for dinner and what-not, it was pleasing to bump into everyone on campus. Most friends would ask when I'm leaving; others question if I'm excited. Jane and I must admit that we don't really get "excited" as the date is drawn near. My explanation is that we know we will be gone for a year; When you weigh them together, your time in New York is off-balance. Thereafter, my attention is drawn to that.

Anyway, it has been fun. Mostly, I've gathered with my mutual friends with Rob at Stony Brook. This small group of friends who can withstand the appearance of a couple is growing. We met 2 freshmen. It isn't something I'm accustomed to. Normally, I make friends in class, at work, or from other friends. That's the beauty of making friends - You expand your horizon (not to sound gay).

Most things have been settled. I found 3 classes that will count towards my degree. They are, "Fundamental of Imaging Science," "The Contemporary Japanese Economy," and "Modern Japanese Economy." Because of the limited classes that will count towards my degree progress, I will be staying in the university for an extra semester or two. I am looking forward to take classes in Japanese studies and its language, foreign language classes, such as French or Chinese, and GYM CLASS. Soccer, volleyball, tennis, karate, and judo, here I come!

Wake me up when September ends...

P.S. My flight is on Sunday, October 2nd. Non-stop 14 hrs flight! Oh, I miss plane food.