Wednesday, October 12, 2005

No More Tampons?

1. Talking on your cell phone is not allowed on subways. It must be off or on vibrate. There is a "manner mode" button on my cell phone. By "not allow," I don't mean the "No Eating" signs you see on New York buses. It is strictly enforced (culturally).

2. In Japan, the drying machines are useless. If you dry a 1/4 filled load 4 times, it will still be damp. This explains why Japanese appliances are not as popular as their electronics in the United States.

3. To my surprise, making calls on your cell phone practically does not exist. As oppose to Hong Kong, everyone holds a cell phone, talking to it (literally). It is quite normal for a person to own 2 or more cell phones. In Japan, Cell phones are used to have 1-minute conversations or to write email and cmail/txt msg. Phone plans are extremely expensive. For example, my plan gives me only 50 free minutes a month. There is no such thing as free night or free weekend minutes. Fortunately, incoming calls are free, so call all you want!

4. In the entire supermarket, I found only one kind and one brand of tampons. This is a nightmare, because they aren't cheap.

5. Apparently, opening your newspaper in a V-angle to read on a subway ride is rude. The correct way is to fold your newspaper.

P.S. My cell phone has a GPS system and it reads barcode. I must test it out soon.