Monday, October 17, 2005

Vocabulary of the Day: 地震 (Ji-Shin)

Jishin is a Japanese word for "earthquake." Why in the world would I need to know? Because I experienced my first earthquake!!!

Don't worry. As you see, I am still alive. It was pretty bad. The wall seemed to be pounding at one point. I thought, "Who the hell is kicking the wall?" A millisecond later, "Wow... pretty strong. That's not possible!" A second later, "Whoa! My calendar and keys hung on the wall, as well as everything in my room, are shaking!" Oh my God! I was talking to Rob, and I said, "Um... earthquake?" At one point, I was pretty excited because I have never been in one before. It was kind of fun, because it seems as if the whole building was vibrating. When it finally stopped, I felt my heart beating. When I calmed down, I wasn't calmed at all.

Girls in my hallways were screaming, "Jishin!!" They continued to laugh nervously, "Jishin..." That is how I learned the new word. I didn't have to question. I walked out to ask if everyone's okay. At the same time, I had to join the excitement.

You'd laugh now at my story, but it doesn't really hit you that it is an earthquake until a quarter of a minute later. I totally forgot that earthquakes happen in Japan. Another story I've heard from a guy from Chicago was, "I know my cell phone doesn't vibrate that much!" Of course, I am excited about anything. A girl from Canada didn't think much of it. Another American didn't notice it at all.

Rob made a funny comment. When he saw me walk out my door, he was expecting, "Oh my God!" in the typical Long Island girls tone. Instead, he tried to make out what we were saying. Because, it wasn't English~

Half an hour later, the entire neighborhood (or perhaps everywhere that was effected) I heard a Japanese announcer speaking about the earthquake. It's interesting. It can easily be heard. I live on the 4th floor, and I heard it clearly. That is one of the many cultural differences that I have encounter thusfar.

This brings an opening to another story. I have been having pidgeon problems in my balcony. They poop, they come back time after time. Once, my calendar that was hung on the wall fell while I was sleeping. Waking up from a sudden sound, I automatically looked to the window, and thought, "Damn, pidgeons!" The pidgeons are now blamed for everything, including the fact that I have to hang my clothes dry inside my room.

At last, of all the words that I will forget, I will never forget "jishin."