Saturday, November 12, 2005

秋のお茶会

I was fortunate to be 1 of 4 girls who volunteered to participate in a tea party at my dormitory building. I drooled at the opportunity to wear a kimono. Thereafter, I dragged 2 of my hallmates, Desy and Laila, to sign up with me.

(Unfortunately, I had to cut my talking time with Rob short to attend the event at 10 am. Now, he's asleep, and I missed the chance to talk to him.)

The first thing I had noticed was that I had the lowest proficiency in Japanese. The event is hosted by the Mother Associations, which translates to the requirement of tremendous manner and respect. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but the Japanese has a whole different way of speaking to the elders. Different verbs are required, more bowing, and more arigatoos gozimasu's.

There are a group of 4 girls and 1 guy coming in at each hour. First, we had to wear these funny looking socks (see below). Since I was the first one to master them, I was the first one to choose a kimono. When I first entered the building where the event was taking place, I puked at the color and style of the kimonos. Apparently, the girls who were an hour before us were just tasteless. I ended up picking the first one I saw, a plain, blue, flower-patterned kimono.

Then, I stood in the middle of the room, in front of a mirror, with 2-3 other "okaasan" dressing me up. I don't know if I would want to be related to it, but it reminded me of a chapter in "Memoirs of a Geisha". For the next half an hour, I became a statue with my arms up.

First, we had to wear a white undershirt (see below). Then... lots of layers, tying, tightening, etc. I forgot. The entire process was so complicated. An average Japanese person would not know how to put it on. I have worn a Japanese kimono before a few years ago, when I visited Japan for the first time. However, this time, everything is more "formal". After lots of adjustments, they spent a 1/3 of the total time on the "obi" (bow). When I was done, all the elders compliment you. I was bound to blush, and denied their compliments.

Subsequently, we had to pick out our slippers, bags, etc. Then, another "okaasan" had to style my hair. I was one of the few people with long and wavy hair. Thankfully, I didn't have to wear a hair piece. At last, I picked out a pink hair ornament.

It was extremely tiring to have to worry about dirtying the kimono and walking with restrictions to the movement on your legs. At last, old Japanese music was played. We sat at a table, and we were taught how to drink our tea. The picture on the cup has to face a certain direction before and after you drink it; the cup has to be rotated before and after you drink it, etc.

At around 12 pm, the fun was over. The Mother Association prepared a feast. As soon as the kimono was off, it was all like a dream. It was so much fun.