Saturday, November 19, 2005

悪循環

In the Japanese class at Stony Brook, we often talk about the useless vocabularies that we have to memorize for our quizzes. One of those words were 悪循環 (a-ku-jun-kan) which means vicious cycle. When would it ever be in use? I have never even used it in English (or Chinese). Until one day...

A few weeks ago, I was eating Shabu Shabu (the onomatopoeia for boiling water) for dinner with Claudia, Kai, and Lukas, who speaks fluent Japanese after 2 years of studying by himself. I wasn't following the conversation, but they were talking about Catch-22 and such. Lukas turned to me and asked what the English word is for 悪循環. Before I heard his question, I found it humorous that he believes that I can answer his question. His Japanese is far better than mine. When his question finally registered in my head, I thought to myself, That sounds so familiar. I the repeated the word to myself 3 or 4 more times.

Within seconds, I yelled, "Vicious cycle!" Lukas confirmed that it was right. Till this day, I am still surprised at the wide range of useless Japanese vocabulary words that I know and remember.