Monday, November 21, 2005

One Thing I Don't Miss

Rob and I often speak of what-if scenarios. For example, what if there was an emergency that only he had witnessed (since we spent a considerable amount of time with each other in front of the webcam). Who would he contact when he's in New York?

Here's another one. We often joke about how he can answer my door when I am away, or babysit my laptop when I am absent. What if my laptop was stolen in front of his eyes? We used to joke that he would able to stop the crime when he interrogates the theive on the other side of the world.

Earlier, I was in my floor's meeting room to receive better wireless internet connection. While I was talking to Rob, I had to use the bathroom. My homework, bookbag, and electronic dictionary were all layed out on the desk. After a short contemplation, I decided to leave my belongings unattended.

One thing I don't miss is to have to worry about leaving things unattended. New York, especially my university, is infamous for having things "disappear." It takes as little as 1 minute. In fact, my laptop was stolen while my roommate was asleep in the room. How? I don't know.

The streets of Japan are unbelievably safe. No matter how dark it is (without street lights), how far the police station is, or how deserted you are, one would always feel secured, simply because it's Japan! There will always be umbrellas left on bicycles. My belongings will always remain where I had abandoned or forgotten it (i.e. my bicycle basket).