Monday, November 14, 2005

New Yorkers, Where Ya At?!


In May, I went on a cross-country road trip with 3 friends. By the end of our trip, we couldn't wait for the honking cars, disrespectful New Yorkers, etc. Being in Japan is 10x worse. (Then again, for some reasons, Japanese are actually really mean to me.)

Last Sunday, we were invited to play with the boy scout kids and to visit our Architectural Design's professor's house, the Yanagisawa's. I felt extremely uncomfortable ending the day with a simple "Thank You very much." I could have repeated it 27 more times and not be able to express how thankful I was.

Their house was beautiful. Their entire family were great hosts and hostess. We were served fruits, oven-baked pizza, shumai, yakisoba, sushi, chips, and soda. Moreover, we learned to make sushi. Everything was prepared especially for us. It was like Christmas. We all set around, chatting, laughing, and playing with their 2 sons. For the first time in 10 or more years, I played Legos.

Earlier that day, we were invited to play with the boy scout kids (there were girls, too). For the kindergarten to 2nd grade's Beaver group, they had to guess each exchange student's origin of country. Our names were the only thing that were given. To my surprise, they know a lot of countries. i.e. Nepal was one of their guesses. However, they would guess an Asian country for a European person and vice versa. They would even guess the Phillippines when the hint was "somewhere cold".

By the end of the day, a girl and her parents waited for us at the train station unexpectedly. The thanked us for the day and gave each of us a print of the picture we had taken earlier. Once again, I don't think I could've bowed any lower or gave thanks any more than I did.

I don't think I can get used to it. Argh! Stop being so nice to me!