Friday, April 14, 2006

花見

(Today, a whole gang came with me to exchange my TV tuner. We must have spent hours. I was excited to watch not only the world cup this summer, but to watch anything the entire weekend. Instead, the second one became dysfunctional as well in a matter of minutes. Because I am totally furious, I decided to post entries on my blog as Rob had suggested.)


After much consideration, Rob and I decided to go to 上野恩賜公園 for 花見 (flower viewing). Fortunately, Rob arrived before the season has ended. In addition, I have bought equipments to make our delicious お弁当. With the Japanese recipe book and Desy's rice cooker, we were ready to go~! For our lunch boxes, I decided earlier that it would be fun to prepare food to make hand rolls. The ingredients included our favorite avocado and eel, my newly mastered 焼き卵, sushi rice, いくら (salmon eggs), and seaweed.

While we were fitting everything into the lunch box, we started eating the sushi rice from our sticky hands. It was scrumptious! Along with our 弁当, we brought snacks, wet towels, chopsticks, etc. We then tied it into a blue cloth.

Although we were up early, we were still in a bit of a rush. Apparently, I only had dark color clothes. Since it didn't seem to fitting for spring or the 花見 season, we shopped. After an hour by train, we arrived to find the park flooded with people.

The atmosphere for this popular park is exactly what we had expected. Large groups of people were on picnic mats drinking beer, laughing, and singing. Dominos was taking over the place!! Their workers were every where, holding menus, taking orders. At last, there was an interesting group of men in business suits singing for free to whoever wishes to see them perform.

We must have spent hours under a sakura tree. It was slightly windy, thereafter, they would fall from time to time. It was beautiful. We took off our shoes like everyone else and sat on our tiny, pink mat. We weren't civilized enough to use chopsticks, therefore, our hands were covered with rice. After a while, we were running out of seaweed. So, our hand rolls were stuffed with more and more stuff. Moreover, different shapes were produced.

After making about a dozen handrolls, we strolled to different areas of the park. We even rode on the paddle swan boat! There were white swans, yellow swans (not duck), regular paddle boats, and rowing boats. On a side note, there were these black and white evil-looking ducks as well. They looked like they were about to take over the world! Their eyes glowed. It was colorful, and we were in time to see the sunset reflecting from the pond. The pond closed within minutes after we finished.

When it got dark, there were ぼんぼり点灯 hanging every where. In addition, there were the food stands that we often encounter. At last, I almost killed 9 of my friends! They were Wing-Chow, Ichiroo, Alice, Dim Sum, Dwayne, Dawn, Cooper, Alex, and Mandy. What happened was that I was playing the game where you try to catch a goldfish with a tissue paper spoon. I caught one, but she gave me 9! While we were sitting on a bench eating who-knows-what that was served at one stand, I was trying to sit the plastic bag of goldfish on the floor. The water ended up flowing out of the bag as I dropped it and the goldfishes were flapping on the floor. I immediately picked up 3 or so of them and dropped them back into the bag. I almost killed them!! Worst of all was that Rob named all 9 of them. After what had happened, we freed them before the night ended at the pond.

When we were exiting the park, we found a dance floor next to a big fountain. They were playing Japanese reggae. Everyone was facing the speakers and did a one-two step.


And, guess what? I just found a cockaroach next to my bed~! Go figure.