Friday, April 07, 2006

First Day Back in School

When I first came back to the dorm, Eun-Jung ran up to me and started chattering in Japanese. She was asking me simple questions, but I froze and I slowly explained that I have forgotten my Japanese. She continued to talk faster and faster, and I became silent.

On our first day back, we had to take a placement exam. I did horribly. Even if I hadn't left for 6 weeks, I wouldn't have done much better. It wasn't that I had forgotten Japanese, but I am simply slower than before. It took me longer to read. The Japanese words were all jumping out at me once. Although I have been reviewing and learning in my current level, I have always wanted to be placed in a more challenged class. I gave up on the idea after the test.

Afterwards, we had homeroom. Everyone seems to be speaking Japanese instead of English more willingly. Either I have become slower, or other foreign exchange students are speaking much faster. Thanks to Rob who downloaded a bunch of Japanese drama, I have noticed certain usage of words (mostly slangs) between Japanese people that I have never noticed before. In addition, I'm sure I'll pick up on it.

During homeroom, we received our grades. My grades consisted of only A's and S's. Sarcastically, I turned to Cori, "Woohoo, I got an A in Chinese." She replied, "And, you didn't get an S?" It was then that I realize that the grading system is in the order of S, A, B, C, F, and W. The 2 classes that I am absolutely fabulous in, Chinese 2 (a level much lower than what I should take) and Volleyball, I received A's. It sounds so ironic when everyone yelled out, "I can't believe I got an A (in so-and-so's class)!"

Back in NY, a friend of Rob who is applying to go study abroad approached me. I was quite intimated. He spoke in an incredible speed. Thank god for English! I wouldn't want to embarrass myself. After thinking that I have gained nothing from Japan the first semester, I wish to make the best out of my second one. Of course, I will still stay in my room to talk to Rob. LOL. Fortunately, he will be coming more frequently. At least, I'll be out some where ordering food and reading signs.

At night, Andrew delivered the DVD of our presentations from last year. Thanks again, by the way!. I watched the American presentation and I got the chills looking at myself. Heh. Thereafter, I decided to skim through the other presentations that we did not stay to watch.