Sunday, April 01, 2007

Job Offers

The doctor that I work for offered me a full-time creative position at the department upon graduation. She totally created from scratch, because I don't think we have that position at the moment. She said the university might be able to reimburse any graduate courses that I would take while I work. As oppose to waiting and hoping that a corporation will sponsor you, I was getting an offer before I even graduate. Although I originally wanted to get my MBA degree 2-4 years after I obtain work experience, I thought about getting the degree right here at Stony Brook University. After all, it's free. Then, I went further with the idea. Why not get a PhD in Economics instead? The graduate economics program here is more prestigious than the business program. (I'm a double major in Business Management and Economics).

In the end, things didn't work out. It turns out that I would only be able to get reimbursement for only one course per year or semester. And, the only other incentive is that they can deduct my tuition from my paycheck. This way, I wouldn't have to pay as much taxes.

Since we couldn't work things out with that option, we totally abandoned it. She's trying to set up a meeting for me with a vp at a very prestigious investment bank. Then again, do I really want to work 60 hours a week? (No!)