Monday, August 20, 2007

The Next 5, 10 Years...

"Where do you see yourself in the next 5, 10 years?" I get that question very often at job interviews. I generally just brush them off by saying that I believe in higher education, and I plan to enroll in MBA part time. More generally, I answer them by saying that I will be in a higher position. For example, for Citigroup's Business Analyst position, I told them that I see myself as a Senior Analyst or a General Manager. For Bank of America, I told them that I see myself at the cozy office that I was interviewed at.

Right now, my Assistant Manager Associate program is 12-24 months long. Hopefully, I will finish it in 12 months. As for Rob, he is still applying for Dental School for the entering class in Fall 2008. If time allows, I would like to make use of my tuition reimbursement and take classes. Perhaps, a master before I get my MBA? Realistically, that won't happen.

In the next 5 years, Rob will be busy as a student. Meanwhile, I will be busy getting my part-time MBA. If we're still in New York, I would attend NYU part-time. Otherwise, there isn't enough part-time programs available as of now; also, going to school full-time will not be feasible when I have to support my family. My dear uncle suggested that I should give my parents an obscene amount of money per month. He had such high expectations.

By Fall 2008, we will know what state we will be in. Subsequently, we will be living together. 5 years later, Rob will graduate from Dental School. He can then practice dentistry, or he will have to do residency to apply for specializations - ie. orthodontist, endodontist, periodontist, etc.

In the next 10 years? Who knows!

P.S. I am now convincing Rob to support my parents. LOL. I get to apply for Stanford's full time program, and we get to live in San Francisco! Woohoo!