Monday, February 20, 2006

Bloated (Updated)

My days are rather mundane. If I can recall properly, I sleep after 4 am every morning. Before 11 am hits, I would wake up energetically. Usually breakfast or lunch would be eaten, but never together. I don't recall the last time I was hungry when I sat down for dinner.

On campus, I question everything I eat. It is either the greasy Chinese food, the way the students handle the food, or the large portion of Indian food. When I would eat a smaller meal, I would eat a healthy BLT sandwich from the deli. Before Japan, I have only been delighted by food. Never have I questioned the portion or the healthiness of the meals I eat, but now, I can't help but question why my stomach is always bloated like a child suffering from malnutrition.

In Japan, having to pay for my own electricity and averaging $80 a month, I have learned to take hot, frequent showers, make hot drinks, as replacements for blasting the heat. Mostly, I would drink green tea. Not only had it kept me warm in the wintery days, it had helped my digestive system. On campus in NY, however, I have adapted to the limited available hot drinks, hot chocolate.

At this rate, I will gain 15 pounds before I return to Japan. My everyday schedule includes eat and sleep. I can fall asleep anywhere. The reason, I believe, is my comfortable, portable, personal pillow - Rob. I would nap at a 4 hour long review on his shoulder, or I would nap on his lap when he studies for his midterm. Of course, I also take naps in the car and when he has class. Not to mention, Rob keeps me warm when we are outside, too.

Unlike Japan, where we travel by foot or by bicycle, in New York, I sit in the passenger's seat and change radio stations. Now, I lack my daily exercises of the flights of stairs to my room and the bicycle rides.

I am no longer jetlagged, but the mundane days is worse than food coma, or even, what I'd call, a shower coma. I have taken up burping and yawning as my hobby. Disgusting, I know.

It is surprising how quickly I have gained weight. Perhaps, aside from the above reasons, I'm with Rob~ Here, I don't see why I wouldn't sleep as peacefully as I do, and enjoy every second not having to look at Rob through the webcam.

Hopefully, some crunches would help~ I shall get a yoga mat.