Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Stupid Mistake

Although my legal documents identify me in my Chinese name, almost all of my professor call me by Stephanie (or at least, the equivalent of that in Japanese). One day, I decided to repeat my Chinese name (in Japanese, translated from English) over and over again. One must remember that I don't use my Chinese name. Momentarily, I thought, this isn't right...

To my surprise, I realized that when I was filling out applications to enter the school, I translated my name wrong. I'm not going to bother to correct it. It's already on my mailbox, school record, residential record, cell phone bill, alien registration card, etc. No one will ever know. After all, there is not one person that can correct my name. They would have to know what my Chinese name is, pronounce it in Cantonese, translate it to English, then translate it to Japanese.

I'll continue to let Rob butcher my Chinese name.