Thursday, February 23, 2006

Transitions

Returning to New York, there are a number of things I have to learn to get used to. An obvious one is the oncoming traffic on the left side, as oppose to the right. However, there's one interesting transition that I would like to share. That is, the lack of... EARTHQUAKES!

Every now and then, it takes seconds for me to realize that there is no earthquake in New York. I would think, "EARTHQUAKE!" for a split second, as I would in Chiba.

There are procedures to be taken, such as opening doors and windows, but we never do them. I must have felt more earthquakes than anyone else have in Chiba. My estimate for the number of earthquake, I have to say, is more than 2 dozens. It could be that I am extra sensitive of a person, I am more sensitive on the 4th floor, or it has gotten to my head!

In Japan, when earthquake hits, we'd think, "Oh, earthquake." We would probably cease what we were doing for 5 seconds, and the rest of the time (around 20-30 seconds), we would continue what we were doing, but probably slower, as we wait for it to end.

Anyway, I would like to read everyone else's experiencing when they return home.