Thursday, January 19, 2006

My $10 Haircut

Back home, I have never paid more than $30 for a haircut. Japanese likes to keep their hair in shape. In the neighborhood, one block may consist of 4 hair salons. There are always a handful of customers in each of them. They aren't cheap either; they each charge $50 on average.

I haven't gotten a haircut since the summer, if not spring. It is suggested for girls to cut their hair once every 3 months. Thereafter, my bangs have grown out and my hair was shredding because of splitends.

Because I am poor and cheap, I decided to go with Lukas to the 1000 yen salon. Cori came for moral support. The procedures are quite interesting. First, you pay at the machine. One would not have to worry about tipping. A paper with a number is then dispensed. Then, when my number was called, the emotionless lady asked me how I wanted my hair. There were 6 pictures at the waiting area; 3 of them were of men. Thereafter, I chose #2 who had a more feminine haircut. Most importantly, they don't wash your hair.

In the end, I hated my haircut. The $10 was worth the tragedy; she spent a considerable amount of time combing and cutting my damaged hair. My split ends are gone, and it'd grow~

Lesson of the day? If you're poor, nothing means jack.

P.S. Thanks Lukas, for the picture~